5 Bake it Happen Highlights
1. From September 28th-October 30th you can log on to Bake it Happen to sign up to receive 3 of Judy’s famous recipes: Pumpkin Oatmeal Chip Cookies, Judy’s Earthquake Cookies or Judy’s Black Bottom Cupcakes.
2. When you bake one of the special recipes, share the dessert with your friends and families. Baking is love!
3. Upload photos of your baked goods to the Bake it Happen Facebook page or email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). $2 will be donated to the Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation every time that you post or email a Bake it Happen photo.
4. As an added incentive, you are entered to win an iPad Mini AND 100 Baked By Melissa Cupcakes each time you upload a baking photo. (I was going to say “forget it” if I won, because I’m just doing this to support Shari. However, those cupcakes are a game changer. Did you read yesterday’s post which mentioned how AMAZING those mini Baked By Melissa cupcakes are? I want them in my tummy! 🙂 )
5. 100% of the money generated from this campaign will be donated to the Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation to be used for breast cancer research grants. Through the Foundation, American pumpkin growers give a percentage of proceeds from every pink pumpkin that thy sell this year to organizations involved in breast cancer research. (So far in 2015, the Bake it Happen campaign donated $1,200+ to the Foundation which in turn granted Dr. Eva McGhee of Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science with $15,000 to further her genomic research.)
This is a super easy way to raise money for a great cause. They aren’t asking you for money. They aren’t even asking you to host a bake sale. They are only requesting that you bake something (preferably one of Judy’s 3 recipes) and share it with your family and friends before the end of the month. Won’t you please join in?
Baking is not my favorite thing to do, but I believe that baking is an act of love. Like Judy, I bake dishes that my family enjoys. My husband Reggie and oldest son Michael primarily like apple desserts and brownies while my youngest son Sean like apple desserts and lemon meringue pie.
We went apple picking last week, so I made an apple cobbler last night with the leftover apples. I usually make an apple pie after our annual farm outing but my baker friend Felicia just gifted my guys an apple pie last week. They loved the apple cobbler, so I’ll share the recipe below. (Save it for next month though and make one of Judy’s desserts this month and support Bake It Happen!)
Easy Apple Cobbler Recipe
- 3-4 lbs apples (I used a combination of Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Cortland apples.)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (It can be hard to find, so I make my own with this CDKitchen recipe.)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/12 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, melted – warm but not very hot
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Lightly butter the bottom of the skillet.
3. Peel, core and slice the apples.
4. Mix everything for the apple filling (except for the flour) together in a large bowl.
5. Once the apples are at your preferred taste level, add the 1/4 cup flour to the mixture in order to thicken the cobbler filling. Add the filling to the skillet.
6. Prepare the topping.
7. Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
8. Mix the warm, melted butter into the flour and sugar to form a crumbly dough.
9. Pat handfuls of dough into thick palm-sized disks and lay the disks over the apples. (You can see my peach cobbler images.)
10. Crumble any extra topping and sprinkle it on top of the cobbler.
11. Place the skillet in the oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
12. Cool and serve.
-Warm cobbler is especially good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
-To warm up the cobbler after it has been in the refrigerator, bake it in the oven at 350ºF for approximately 5-8 minutes.
P.S. If you enjoy the recipes on this site, please check out my NEW eBook Soul Food: 31 Easy Recipes for Home Cooks. Get it today for only $4.97!