It is almost time to usher in the “Year of the Snake”. The events hosted by the Better Chinatown Society (especially the CHINATOWN LUNAR NEW YEAR PARADE & FESTIVAL) are my personal favorite Chinese New Year events to attend with my family. However, there are many other options.
I had mentioned on Facebook that I’m not going to be doing weekly event picks in 2013. I’m a bit obsessive in my event research, so what would normally take a sane person 1 to 2 hours takes me 4 to 5 hours! Thankfully, I have several online publishing friends who are great at pulling together events. To find the best family-friendly Chinese New Year celebrations in NYC, I suggest that you visit the following posts:
1. 15 Great Ways To Celebrate The Lunar New Year by New York Family Magazine: They offer several great options to celebrate the Year of the Snake.
2. Chinese Lunar New Year in New York City: 2013 from About.com: This is a solid list of Chinese New Year events and celebrations
3. Chinese New Year for NYC Kids: Celebrate Lunar New Year with Free Parades and Festivals from Mommy Poppins: This is a really great, comprehensive list from one of my favorite local sites.
4. Lunar New Year celebrations for New York City families from Time Out New York Kids: This is another great comprehensive list. (I could be mistaken, but I think that they are the only one who mentions a Staten Island celebration option – the one at Greenbelt Nature Center.)
5. The Year of the Snake: Parades, Firecrackers and Food from Red Tricycle New York: They have some great options for Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn families.
If you have seen any other great NYC Lunar New Year/Chinese New Year celebrations or events listings, please feel free to leave the information in the “Comments” section below.
If you enjoyed this post, don't miss future ones! Sign up now for the MitC FREE weekly email newsletter to have updates, tips & "subscriber-only" giveaways and special offers sent to your email inbox. Thanks!