It is almost time to usher in the “Year of the Snake”. The events hosted by the Better Chinatown Society (especially the CHINATOWN LUNAR NEW YEAR PARADE & FESTIVAL) are my personal favorite Chinese New Year events to attend with my family. However, there are many other options.
I had mentioned on Facebook that I’m not going to be doing weekly event picks in 2013. I’m a bit obsessive in my event research, so what would normally take a sane person 1 to 2 hours takes me 4 to 5 hours! Thankfully, I have several online publishing friends who are great at pulling together events. To find the best family-friendly Chinese New Year celebrations in NYC, I suggest that you visit the following posts:
1. 15 Great Ways To Celebrate The Lunar New Year by New York Family Magazine: They offer several great options to celebrate the Year of the Snake.
2. Chinese Lunar New Year in New York City: 2013 from About.com: This is a solid list of Chinese New Year events and celebrations
3. Chinese New Year for NYC Kids: Celebrate Lunar New Year with Free Parades and Festivals from Mommy Poppins: This is a really great, comprehensive list from one of my favorite local sites.
4. Lunar New Year celebrations for New York City families from Time Out New York Kids: This is another great comprehensive list. (I could be mistaken, but I think that they are the only one who mentions a Staten Island celebration option – the one at Greenbelt Nature Center.)
5. The Year of the Snake: Parades, Firecrackers and Food from Red Tricycle New York: They have some great options for Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn families.
If you have seen any other great NYC Lunar New Year/Chinese New Year celebrations or events listings, please feel free to leave the information in the “Comments” section below.