Happy August! While it seems as if the rest of the country is going back to school, there is still another month of summer break until our NYC kids go back to school in September. Personally, I’m excited about this month. My husband Reggie and oldest son Michael will be going to church camp next week so I’ll get a chance to spend some 1:1 time with my youngest son Sean. Plus, there are so many fun ,kid-friendly events and things to do this month. I’m sharing 7 of the best August NYC events for families in this post. Enjoy!
1. Rio on the Hudson is a free, week-long celebration of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, It will be held from August 5th – 11th at Pier 26 in Hudson River Park. Celebrate Team USA, learn about Brazilian culture and entertainment, play games and more at this family-friendly event.
2. Summer Streets 2016 is on August 6th, 13th and 20th (from 7am to 1pm) this year. During this annual event, almost seven miles of NYC streets are open to the public. There are several free play activities from sponsors. (Meanwhile, some people use the space to walk, run or ride their bikes.)
3. Grand Central Summer Send-Off is taking place August 24th – 26th at Grand Central Terminal. There will be free, family activities, Broadway performances in Vanderbilt Hall and more.
4. On Saturday, August 27th, the 2016 Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day is featuring performances by Flo Rida, Zara Larsson and more. Tennis players Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are also being featured at the popular annual tennis and music event this year. Ticket prices start at $10.
5. Theatreworks’ Free Summer Theater program is showing Junie B.’s Essential Survival Guide to School (recommended for ages 5-11) during the month of August.
6. There is still time to catch some of the free summer concerts in NYC.
7. While the weather is still mild, watch some of the free outdoor movies that are being shown through August.