When Disney-Hyperion sent me a copy of The Hidden Oracle, the first book in Rick Riordan’s new THE TRIALS OF APOLLO series, my sons immediately started to disagree over who would get to read it first. I guess that they agreed on “joint custody” of the book because I see both of them reading it at various times. This new book is now available in stores (since May 3rd).
Both of my sons are fans of Riordan’s Percy Jackson series so they are happy to see that many of their favorite demigods are back in this new series along with some new ones. This book is different from the previous Riordan series though because it is written from the point of view of a God (Apollo).
After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disoriented, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus’s favor.
But Apollo has many enemies—gods, monsters, and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.
Another neat thing about the The Hidden Oracle is that it is being released with the following special editions (that include unique inserts) at several different retailers:
- Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition – a Camp Half-Blood letter from Apollo to Zeus
- Target Exclusive Edition – an illustrated map of Apollo’s Trials at Camp Half-Blood
- Books-a-Million Exclusive Edition – an Apollo Bumper Sticker (“I’d Rather be Driving by Sun Chariot”)
- Walmart Exclusive Edition – a 2-sided bookmark with character art of Apollo and his mortal counterpart, Lester
- Costco Exclusive Edition – an illustrated poster depicting the “Plague of Secrets” scene from The Hidden Oracle
The Hidden Oracle Giveaway
Thanks to prizing and samples which are being provided by Disney-Hyperion, one lucky Mom in the City reader will win one of the exclusive editions of The Hidden Oracle (with a surprise insert) plus a $25 Visa gift card. Good luck!
P.S. If you enjoy the recipes on this site, please check out my NEW eBook Soul Food: 31 Easy Recipes for Home Cooks. Get it today for only $4.97!