1. Dinner at Rusty Nail: The servers were friendly and attentive. The food was fabulous. I was also able to spend time with a group of fabulous bloggers. Since I often get the chance to spend time with the bloggers who are based in New York, it was especially fun to laugh and learn from Jo-Lynne, Melissa and Shannon Ott who all live in the Pennsylvania area. They are so sweet and smart. (They also take really beautiful photos.)
2. The history of Congress Hall: The owner Curtis Bradshaw talked about the history of Cape May, the oldest seaside resort town. It was fascinating to hear how his grandfather acquired much of the land that was not being developed during his generation. Hearing about Curtis’ fond childhood memories and traditions, really helped to explain how important simple pleasures and building memories is incorporated into the Congress Hall business culture.
3. Congress Hall events and activities: It was obvious that Myra, the activities coordinator/Director of Fun, enjoys her job so much. In addition to the various lodging and dining spots that fall under the Cape May Resorts umbrella, it is obvious that a lot of thought has been put into the programming schedule. They also have a Kid’s Camp where parents can drop their kids off in order to have a special date night. To see the full list of activities and events, you can visit their site.
4. Circuit training with Kate: It was fun to take a group fitness class with a few other bloggers on Friday. The exercises were simple to do. However, it was the repetition that made me “feel” it the next day. The nutrition class was also very informative. (Kate is going to send me copies of the exercises and nutrition notes that I will share with you soon.)
5. Lunch and walking tour at Beach Plum Farm: This will definitely stick in my memory as a highlight of this trip. Seeing the fruit and vegetables while they are still in the earth is just special. To eat the food straight from the farm to the table was also a sweet treat. Chef Lucas Manteca and his staff prepared an amazing lunch. It felt as if I was in the middle of a Martha Stewart segment as we all ate the freshly prepared salads, grilled meat and such.
6. The Ebbit Room at the Virginia Hotel: We went there for dessert after the lunch at the farm. The strawberry pie was so amazing that I was almost late for my massage that I was scheduled to have.
7. The Sea Spa at Congress Hall: Massages are one of my “things”. This one was perfect…I was so relaxed that I fell to sleep! (Unlike my last NYC massage where the masseuse was stepping on my back!)
8. The Tommy Folly shops at Congress Hall: I really didn’t do much sightseeing outside of Congress Hall, but there was so much to see there! With all of the clothing, jewelry and home goods that are on-site, it definitely makes off-site shopping optional.
9. Dining at The Blue Pig Tavern: Everything that I ordered was really good, but the macaroni and cheese appetizer with crabmeat on top was amazing! The conversation on our end of the table was especially funny – so much so that we had the owner (Curtis) play musical chairs to get away from us…and I’m only slightly kidding!
10. My beautiful room at Congress Hall: It was so wonderful to have a huge, comfortable bed all to myself for a couple of nights. The big, beautiful old-fashioned tub was my favorite thing though. There was a small thing of Aveda bath salts, so I just couldn’t leave before taking a long, interruption-free bubble bath with soothing bath salts. Just thinking about it takes me to a calm, peaceful place…
My stay at Congress Hal in Cape May was simply wonderful. All of those lovely ladies in the picture at the top of this post made it extra special.
In any event, if you are planning on going to Cape May this year, you can receive a $100 Resort credit to be used during your stay at Congress Hall, Virginia Hotel, or beach shack. (Reservations must be reserved online using the promo code MOMBLOG. They must be booked by July 31, 2011 for stays in 2011. The $100 credit will be applied at the time of checkout and is not valid with any other offers.)
Last, but definitely not least, I’m especially thankful to TheMotherhood along with Curtis and Jeanine (of Congress Hall ) who allowed me to be a part of this Mom Bloggers Weekend Retreat. It really was a special treat!