What do you do when you think that you have a package of your favorite pancake mix on hand…only to discover that it is missing from your cabinet? Well, this situation recently happened to me. Instead of trading in my preferred weekend breakfast option for just another bowl of cereal, I rolled up my sleeves and decided to make my own pancake mix. Since pancakes are essentially flour, milk and eggs, I used that as my base and varied it a bit by adding ricotta cheese, lemon, cinnamon, and fresh fruit (raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries). I loved how the ricotta cheese made the pancakes thick and fluffy without being too heavy and the fresh fruit was a delicious, all-natural addition to the sweet cakes. Enjoy these homemade cakes — I’m sure that after you test out this recipe, you’ll ditch the box for good yourself!
Serena’s Homemade Pancake Recipe
Yield: 6-8 pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of fresh fruit (I used blueberries, raspberries, and blueberries.)
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl. Next, add the eggs, milk and ricotta cheese to the mixture. (You can add additional milk if you want thinner pancakes.) Then, add the lemon juice, cinnamon, and fresh fruit to the mixture. Mix everything together until the batter is smooth and has reached your desired consistency.
- Add approximately one tablespoon of butter to a large frying pan. Turn the flame to a low setting and let the butter melt in the pan. Use a small measuring cup to scoop out the batter and add it to the pan. (As an alternative, you can use a ladle or large spoon to scoop the batter.) Let the pancakes cook on one side. When they start to “bubble”, turn them over and let them cook on the other side. Serve the pancakes while they are warm along with your favorite toppings (maple syrup, butter, sugar, or plain). Enjoy!
–Basic French Toast Recipe