The only connection that I have to Kentucky is that my mother was born there! I know that a lot of people like to cheer on their favorite horses for the Kentucky Derby though. If you’re enjoying the Kentucky Derby from the comfort of your own home, try this simple recipe for Mint Julep pie.
Mint Julep Pie with Caramel Sauce
(I adapted this from a 2011 recipe from Fireman Hospitality Group.)
1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 10-12 whole crackers)
½ gallon mint ice cream
4-6 tablespoons melted butter
(Optional) caramel sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coarsely break crackers and place them in the food processor. Finely pulverize them.
3. Mix the chocolate graham crackers together with the butter and place the mixture into a pie pan. Place the crust into the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Once the crust has cooled, scoop the mint ice cream into the pie crust and smooth out the topping.
5. Place the pie in the freezer for an hour before serving.
6. When you are ready to serve the pie, pour heated caramel sauce over each slice of the pie.