I don’t make brownies from scratch. My husband is actually the brownie maker in the house. He and the boys usually just use Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix…and they consistently turn out great. I’m of the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality, so I’ll just leave their basic brownie making alone! Sometimes you just want a quick, decadent treat that is a little bit different though…right? This recipe definitely fits the bill. It was inspired by a Trader Joe’s one. (Although, I don’t shop at Trader Joe’s a lot, I love their mail circulars. They contain some of my favorite food writing…I get recipe ideas every time that I read them.)
Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Brownie Mix
Yield: 12 servings
- Your favorite brownie recipe OR 1 package of your favorite brownie mix (For the sake of this recipe, I’m using Jacques Torres Chocolate’s Fudge Brownie Mix, because it is my current favorite. I’m just not making the fudge glaze topping.)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12 oz. bag of miniature peanut butter cups
1. Bake the brownies according to the package directions and remove them from the oven.
2. Place the peanut butter cups (bottom down) covering the entire top layer of the warm brownies.
3. Return the pan of brownies back into the oven for a couple of minutes in order to give the peanut butter cups time to soften a bit more.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and use a butter knife to spread the softened cups as a frosting.
That’s it. Let the brownies cool and share the goodness. (Seriously…these brownies have a lot going on…a little bit definitely goes a long way!)P.S. If you enjoy the recipes on this site, please check out my NEW eBook Soul Food: 31 Easy Recipes for Home Cooks. Get it today for only $4.97!