I get a lot of questions about the products that I use for my “straight natural” hair. Straight natural simply means that I am currently wearing my natural hair in a straight style. When it comes to hair, I am a “do what works for you” type of person. Straight natural works for me at the moment because it’s super simple – I really don’t need to do anything to my hair in between wash days.
A basket of hair products makes a great gift so I’m sharing the five products that I use consistently. I’m also sharing the nine products that my stylist Mia-Shanelle uses when she does my hair. She’s so funny. She calls it “baby-making” hair when she does my hair. She also wants me to have one more child. No thank you! Those baby-making days are over (unless we have an “oops”). The fifteenth product is one that my friends “of a certain age’ have been raving about. Enjoy!
My “Must-have” hair products
- Cold-Pressed Castor Oil: I use a little bit around the edges of my hair and on the ends once a week. I’m not a hair person but I’m obsessed with keeping my edges healthy!
- AS I Am Long and Luxe Strengthening Shampoo: I love the smell of this shampoo. It lathers easily and doesn’t leave my hair dry.
- As I AM Long and Luxe Conditioner: I love the smell of the conditioner too. More importantly, I love how it makes combing out my hair so easy. Honestly, it’s just as easy to shampoo and condition my natural hair as it was when my hair was relaxed.
- Breezelike Hair Comb for Detangling – Wide Tooth Wood Comb for Curly Hair: This is the only comb that I use to comb my hair. The wood really does diminish hair breakage. You have to be more careful with this comb than a plastic one though. I had to replace my original one because I dropped it on the floor and broke it.
- Caviar Anti-Aging CC Cream: This is the product that I use on my hair before blow-drying it. My hair gets weighed down easily so I don’t need to use anything else until my next wash day.
My stylist’s “baby-making” hair products
I like to use as few products as possible. My hairstylist uses more products. Then again, my hair looks WAY better when she does it. Oh, well…
These are the products that I have noted that she used on my hair (at various times) this year:
6. Head & Shoulders Royal One Moisture Boost Shampoo
7. Carol’s Daughter Pracaxi Nectar Wash-n- Go Leave-In
8. Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate-Free Shampoo
9. OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Conditioner
10. Mizani Velvet Gloss
11. Mizani Thermasmooth Sleek Guard Smoothing Hair Cream
12. Mizani Thermastrength Heat Protecting Serum
13. Your Hair Assistant Perfecting Hairspray
14. Palma Christi Castor Oil
Bonus (For Covering Gray Roots)
You know that you’re getting older when your girlfriends are excited to tell you about their favorite products to cover gray roots. Well, at least the packaging is cute!
15. Madison Reed Root Touch Up