Back in October, a family friend named Tommy invited “my guys” over to his home to watch some type of sporting event. Michael and Sean came home singing about “Tommy’s Famous Taco Pie” that he had prepared for them. There are very few foods that cause my sons to break out in song, so (of course) I had to get the recipe. Fortunately, it wasn’t a family secret and Tommy was willing to share. The great thing is that it is really easy to make. (I was reminded of Tommy’s specialty when he brought two of the taco pies to our Super Bowl party. It really was as good as the boys had raved, so I’m sharing it with you.)
Tommy’s Famous Taco Pie Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 can of green chilies
- 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 bag of corn chips (or tortilla chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the beef (or turkey) with the taco seasoning and green chilies in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place the cooked meat into the uncooked pie crust. Top the meat with a layer of sour cream followed by a layer of cheese. Add the corn chips (or crushed tortilla chips) on top of the pie.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake it at 350 for 30 minutes. That’s it!
It turns out that taco pie is a pretty popular recipe. I had just never tasted it before. In any event, I will keep this one on file for the next male gathering at our home!