Fall has always been my favorite season and I think that has to do with the food. It’s the season of apples, and I love apples. I have heard many people say that Golden Delicious apples are the best type of apple to use for baking. I tend to agree, but I also think that a mixture of sweet and tart apples bring out the best flavor. Unfortunately, I recently missed a chance to go apple picking during a group outing. Luckily, a few friends (who know how much I love to bake) brought me back some apples. This recipe for apple crisp is one of the easiest apple dessert recipes. You can prepare this dish in about an hour and enjoy it right away.
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 5 – 6 large apples (I used a combination of Gala, Golden Delicious and Cortland apples.)
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8 inch square cake pan with non stick spray and set it aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the oats and butter. Using a pastry cutter (or a fork), combine all of the ingredients together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set the mixture aside.
3. Peel, core and cut the apples into chunks and place them into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice from the lemon on the apples and sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of sugar on them. Stir the apples, lemon juice and sugar together well.
4. Pour the apples into the prepared pan and top them with crumble mixture. Bake the apple crisp for 30 – 40 minutes (until the top is golden brown).
5. Remove the pan from the oven and let the crisp cool for approximately 15 minutes.
-As an alternative, you can use a deep pie dish to prepare this apple crisp.
-This dessert is best served warm – either by itself or with a scoop of ice cream.
-“Best Apple Pie Ever” recipe
If you enjoyed this post, please forward it to a friend or tell them to sign up here. Thanks!