My family goes through weekly meal rotations. We’ll have a set schedule of meals for the week until someone gets tired of a certain meal. Then we’ll switch meals out. An easy fried rice recipe served with grilled chicken thighs has recently entered the mix.
I love that the fried rice is quick to make. It’s finished in less than 15 minutes when I use leftover rice. I also like that it’s a versatile dish. I use leftover basmati rice to prepare it and sometimes add additional leftover vegetables. I think that your family will enjoy it too.
Easy Fried Rice Recipe
Bacon and Veggie Fried Rice
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 cups of cooked basmati rice
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans and peas)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- (Optional) 1 large egg
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet (preferably a cast-iron one) over medium-low heat until it is done.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and drain the excess fat from the two pieces on a paper-towel-lined plate. Chop up the bacon with a knife and place it to the side. (Leave the rest of the bacon grease in the skillet though.)
- Add the mixed veggies to the bacon grease in the skillet and cook them over medium heat. Stir-fry (cook while stirring occasionally) everything until the vegetables are tender – approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and chopped bacon to the skillet with the vegetables. Then, add the soy sauce. Stir-fry everything together until it is thoroughly mixed and heated – approximately 3 minutes.
- (Optional) I like to crack an egg and stir it into the vegetable fried rice mixture until it is cooked. It simply makes me “feel” like we’re eating a better version of takeout. 🤷🏾♀️
-If you have a wok, you can use that instead of the skillet to make this easy fried rice recipe. (I’m a kitchen minimalist, so I just don’t have one.)
-You can add additional ingredients (i.e. veggies and shrimp).
-You can also adjust the soy sauce level (by adding more or less) depending on your family’s preference.