My hair stylist and friend Shanelle told me that I was a hair product junkie this past weekend. I SO am not. Background: Shanelle won a basket of Kerastese hair products at a Women’s Day event at our church on Saturday. Since she was the one who had actually donated the gift, she was kind enough to let another winner be chosen. Jokingly, I asked her why didn’t she just give me the basket that she won. That’s when she accused me of being a hair product junkie. As if!
To prove my innocence, I told her that I was going to write down all of my hair products. (We were talking about the actual stuff that you put on your hair…not blow dryers, curling irons and such. I don’t have a lot of those because I really don’t enjoy doing hair ANYWAY.) When, I pulled everything out, it only came up to 17 products and 3 of the 17 were gifts from Shanelle! That’s not a lot…is it? Is it? Here they are…
(The ones marked with an “*” are items that I have received over time to review for the blog.)
1. Aussie 3 minute miracle deeeeep conditioner. I use this for my final comb-out when I wash my hair in the shower. My hair stylist doesn’t especially love the ingredients, but I haven’t found anything else that makes my comb-outs as painless. I’m definitely keeping this. Plus, it’s really inexpensive!
2. *Aveda smooth infusion Style-Prep Smoother: I received this in a gift bag at an Aveda event last year. To my pleasant surprise, I really like it. It smells nice and works really well when I’m trying to keep my hair flat/straight on a humid day.
3. – 4. Fekkai Advanced Essential Shea Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner: They are pricey, but I had a gift certificate when I purchased them. They work very well, but I’m still on the fence regarding whether or not I’ll re-purchase them when I run out.
5. Infusium 23 leave-in treatment. I used a watered down version of this as a leave-in conditioner in the past, because the Dominican hairdressers that I used to frequent always used it. I haven’t used it lately on myself, but I use the watered down version on my sons’ hair.
6. Kerastase Resistance Ciment Thermique Vita-Ciment Topseal. Shanelle gave this to me! It protects my hair from heat, so I only use it when I blow-dry my hair after washing it.
7. *Loreal Paris Elnett Satin (purse sized hair spray). I only use this in a pinch… if my hair is flying all over the place on a windy day.
8. *Mama Mio O Mega Body Oil. Although it’s a body oil geared towards moms, I use it for hot oil treatments. Love it!
9. Mixed Chicks hair silk: I use a drop or two of this on a daily basis to give my hair a little moisture and a little shine…without being heavy and weighing my hair down.
10. *Nexxus Maxximum Super Hold Styling and Finishing Mist. I don’t like “hard” hair, but I use this primarily to keep my bangs in place.
11. – 12. *Ouidad 12 Minute Deep Treatment Intensive Repair and Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner. Ouidad is mainly for curly hair but I love their conditioners. They smell SO good and leave my hair feeling healthy. While the weather is warm, I will primarily be washing my hair and letting it air dry. When I do that, I use the Moisture Lock. It makes my hair soft when it dries. (I can barely stand dealing with hair dryers and flat irons when it’s cool inside…forget about when it’s hot!)
13. Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Featherlight Hairdress. I only use this on my edges/around my hairline. (I wear my hair in ponytails a lot and it can tend to stress those areas of my hair.)
14. – 15. Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Intensive Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. This set works well on my relaxed hair that tends to be dry.
16. – 17. 2 Sebastian Penetraitts. Shanelle gave these 2 deep conditioners to me too! (We tend to give each other gifts when she comes over and does my hair.)
See, that’s not too bad. It’s not like I use all of those products at once. I only use 4 products on days when I wash my hair (shampoo, conditioner or treatment, Aussie and leave-in conditioner OR thermal treatment) and 2 – 3 on a daily basis (hairdress for edges, Mixed Chicks for moisture/shine and hair spray when needed). I’m not going to buy any more hair products until I’m finished with the ones that I currently have though. (That’s why I asked Shanelle to get me some coconut oil for my birthday. I hear that it’s nice and light…great to use for wash and wear spring/summer hair.) Okay, so maybe I do have a slight problem…
What do you think? Do I have a lot of hair products or is this normal? (Agree with me! 🙂 )