As I navigate this new “remote schooling” reality, Be Strong Families is one of my favorite new resources. This week, I looked at their “Coping with Fear and Anxiety during COVID 19: Nurturing Resilience with Maria Muzik, MD” presentation. I recommend that you watch it also.
5 Key Takeaways
- Anxiety can be a normal reaction. It’s important to know when it becomes a problem though.
- There are four factors that heighten our alarm and stress response (novelty, unpredictability, loss of control and loss of social support).
- There are many tools to build resilience/combat fear and anxiety. (Informing myself and focusing on what I can control were especially helpful reminders.)
- I learned the “5-4-3-2-1” exercise. It activates the various senses to help calm anxiety.
- Social connections are critical.
I especially love that Be Strong Families is sharing their Zoom recording, slides and handouts: (Autogenic Training, Simple Breathing Techniques, Sleep Infographic, What is Anxiety, and Tips to Counter Anxiety) online for FREE.
Please take the time to watch and/or view the materials when you can. I think that they will definitely help you and your family be more at peace during these challenging times!