Self-care has been on my mind since I celebrated my birthday last month. After having multiple conversations with various friends, I realized that a lot of moms are still having a difficult time including “self-care” in their weeks. Time, energy, money and creativity tend to be the most common reasons. To help, I came up with 52 easy ideas for self-care. That’s one for every week in the year.
Anybody can try these self-care ideas for women. I especially care about self-care for moms. Many of us moms (especially those of us in our 40s and 50s) are pulled in so many different directions. If we don’t take care of ourselves, we will eventually suffer burnout. The great thing about these ideas for self-care is that there is a lot of variety. Whatever you do, take care of yourself!
What Is Self-Care?
Before I share these self-care ideas for moms, it’s helpful to know what the term actually means.
Self-Care is what people do for themselves to establish and maintain health, and to prevent and deal with illness. It is a broad concept encompassing hygiene (general and personal), nutrition (type and quality of food eaten), lifestyle (sporting activities, leisure etc), environmental factors (living conditions, social habits, etc.) socio-economic factors (income level, cultural beliefs, etc.) and self-medication.World Health Organisation
52 Ideas for Self-Care
- Absolutely nothing
- Aromatherapy with essential oils
- Ask for (or buy) help
- Brain game exercises
- Perform breathwork
- Challenge yourself (escape rooms, ziplining, wall climbing, etc.)
- Clean (organize, declutter)
- Color or paint
- Cook a special meal
- Create something (get crafty)
- Drink a cup of tea (or coffee)
- Do a digital detox
- Establish a skincare routine
- Get waxed (eyebrows, etc.)
- Practice eating “feel-good” food (intuitive eating)
- Add some fresh flowers or house plants to your home
- Play a game (video or traditional)
- Write a gratitude list
- Practice haircare
- Hydrate/drink water
- Just say no/set boundaries.
- Listen to music
- Make a drink. Smoothies are a great option.
- Get or give yourself a massage
- Master a new makeup look
- Monotask (stop multi-tasking)
- Take care of your nails with a manicure and/or pedicure
- Plan (It can be your ideal day or week, a future vacation, etc.)
- Practice tapping for anxiety relief
- Read a motivating or inspiring book
- Retreat (at home, at a hotel, etc.)
- Schedule YOUR medical appointments
- Set goals
- Start a new hobby
- Take a candlelit bubble bath
- Go on a nature walk/hike
- Take note of your mood so that you can get in touch with your feelings
- Go to lunch or dinner with friends
- Use vitamins and/or supplements
- Watch a favorite television show
- Watch online entertainment for a short period of time (Instagram reels!)
- Look at a motivating or inspiring movie
- Practice yoga
Self-Care for Moms PDF
You can download these ideas for self-care in this self-care for moms pdf.
If you found this post helpful, please share it. In addition, consider signing up for my weekly email newsletter so that you don’t miss future updates. Thanks!