Overall, the heat is not my friend. It energizes some people, but it drains my energy. My husband Reggie constantly wonders aloud how I could have been raised in the south. We have been married nine years, but I still have to explain to him that there are different types of heat. Virginia heat is not as humid as NYC heat (and the air tends to be cleaner in Virginia). Anyway, I made a vow to myself that I would not complain about the heat this summer. Instead, I’m focusing on the great aspects of the hot weather. One thing that I especially like is that my appetite lessens significantly when it’s hot outside, so eating lighter breakfasts and lunches is not a challenge. This week, I have been drinking various smoothies (thanks Serena!). For lunch, my new favorite thing is Romaine lettuce wraps.
When it is cooler outside, I prefer soups, chili and stews for lunch. I don’t care for them during the warmer weather though. (There are plenty of cold soups, but I just have not really liked any of them that I have tasted to date.) The wraps are simple, healthy lunch options with limitless options, so they work for me. They are basically sandwiches minus the bread. I started making them one day when I happened to use all of the bread on the kids’ lunch sandwiches. I noticed that I didn’t miss the bread, so I have just been leaving it off! The turkey wrap is my current favorite.
Turkey Romaine Wrap
Yield: 1 wrap
- 2 Romaine leaves
- 4 slices cucumber
- 3 slices oven roasted turkey breast
- 3 slices tomato
- small handful of alfalfa sprouts
- to taste – the condiment of your choice (mayonnaise, dijon mustard, etc.)
- Smear the condiment of your choice on one of the Romaine lettuce leaves. (I used mayo.)
- Spread the cucumber slices out along the Romaine leaf length-wise.
- Roll up the three turkey slices and place them on top of the cucumbers.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the turkey.
- Sprinkle the alfalfa sprouts on top of the tomatoes.
- Roll everything up in the leaf using the second Romaine leaf to complete the roll.
- Cut the wrap in half and enjoy!